I got a package dependency issue when updating our 64-bit CentOS server, which was caused by two perl packages installed (i386 and x86_64).

perl i386 4:5.8.8-32.el5_5.1 installed 28 M
perl x86_64 4:5.8.8-32.el5_5.1 installed 34 M

I tried to remove it using rpm command but didn’t work (maybe i just don’t know the correct params with rpm).
My solution to remove package was using yum “remove package_name.architecture“. Ex: yum remove perl.i386
or you can:

rpm -qa | grep perl

    root@server # rpm -qa | grep perl
    perl-5.8.8-32.el5_5.1
    perl-5.8.8-32.el5_5.1
    perl-Convert-ASN1-0.20-1.1

try

rpm -e perl-5.8.8-32.el5_5.1.i386